Thursday, February 11, 2016

Going the Distance

My fiance Jordan and I started off our relationship long distance, nearly six years ago. I lived in Atlanta, he in St. Louis. Though we did this for two years, without fail I would cry every time we parted ways at the airport.

Currently, 4000 miles away, this has been the furthest and longest we've been apart. We've now spent more time long distance than we have lived in the same city.

Here's how we've managed long distance over all these years:

1. Communicate daily. It's important for us to have some form of contact everyday. In the age of FaceTime, WhatsApp and Skype, staying connected is easier than ever. Even with the time difference, Jordan will call me in between patients when he has a moment and I always call to wish him goodnight.

2. Share the day. We keep up with each other on social media and we send each other Snapchat-like montages everyday. This keeps us engaged in each other's daily events and the random things that come our way.

3.  See each other at least once a month. There's a point where phone calls won't do and you just want to cuddle with your special person. For me, it's around week 3.

4. Be your own, independent and complete person apart. It's so important to have rich, separate lives filled with your own friends, interests and hobbies! Otherwise, you're the one that's in front of the TV with a bucket of ice cream pining for your long distance lover! While missing each other is a given, having full, busy and independent lives is key.

5. Plan fabulous vacations together. Jordan and I are headed to Morocco in a few weeks and we both have been having so much fun planning the details together. From where to stay, things to do, souvenirs to buy and food to eat; this gives us something grand to look forward to and work on together. 

6. Have an end in sight. This is probably the most important tidbit. Long distance is definitely doable but knowing that the distance is temporary, helps tremendously. 

Long distance relationships are not for everyone. They're expensive and can be emotionally draining. But I believe that couples who do survive, emerge stronger, and solidify their commitment to each other. 

People always comment on how hard being away must be; but, for me, distance is a minor detail that can be managed. For Jordan is home and I carry him everywhere I go.







No comments:

Post a Comment