Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Time Traveling Through Haiti

To cap off my fun-employment, I made a pilgrimage to Cap-Haitien, Haiti (Okap) with Belle Vue Tours. Unlike my other trips to the island, this visit was to pay homage to my ancestral roots.  Especially in times like these, for me, it was important to remember where I came from as I continue to build on my legacy. A legacy only made possible through the strength and resilience of my forefathers.

 This trip was history focused and we toured key areas from the Haitian Revolution.


From 1791-1804, Haiti, would change the landscape of world.  This tiny sugar island would oust France, a major superpower, and abolish slavery on the island. Haiti would become the first black republic in the western hemisphere and influence abolition movements worldwide. 


Before European exploitation, Haiti was the land of the indigenous Taino people. Their influence is still present, visible in existing customs and artifacts left behind all over the country. Our trip included an expedition through a forest and across a river to view up close symbols left behind by the Taino people on huge rocks. We also visited the mystical "Bois Caiman", the area where the infamous Voodou ceremony was held to kick off the revolution. To bring it full circle, we visited the site of the Battle of Vertières, which ended the revolution and sealed Haiti's independence.

A trip to Cap-Haitien wouldn't be complete without exploring the ruins of Palais Sans Souci, once a splendid royal place and described by foreigners as the most magnificent edifice of the West Indies.  This palace was built in 1813, by King Henri Christophe and served as his royal residence. Situated adjacent to the palace is Citadelle Laferrière, now ruins of what was once the largest fortification in the Americas.  Citadelle is strategically perched on one of the highest mountain in the city of Milot. To get to Citadelle, our group rode on donkeys or made the mile hike all the way to the top. I walked - so you know I'm real! But I paid for it the following days, definitely not as young as I used to be! 


When we all finally made it to the top, the views were breathtaking. Panoramic views of endless mountains, blue skies and fluffy white clouds - no photos will ever do this place justice.


After days of adventure and time traveling, we caught up on some much needed R&R.  Sunbathing on the beach, cruising around Labdadee, enjoying lobster, conch and fish caught right in front of us - this trip was nothing short of amazing. 


One of the nicest parts of taking this history tour was the amazing people I met along the way. Couples, families, solo travelers and more - all united in their love for Haiti, adventure and history.


Haiti has it all - but basic travelers need not apply. You will be challenged physically and mentally. You will see things you've never seen in your life. You will witness chaos but also the undeniable strength of the Haitian people.


Haiti is for explorers, adventurers, and lovers of mystery. If you're looking for your next trip off the beaten path, Haiti is it.











































1 comment:

  1. Awesome review. Couldn't have said it better myself. Was a pleasure to meet you on the tour. I have to work on my flexibility to perfect that Neg Marron pose on the beach. Lol

    ReplyDelete