Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Must Have Food in Paris

Ernest Hemingway had the right idea about Paris being a {moveable} feast. In the literal sense, the city is known for its “gastronomique”, boasting some of the best dining in the world. Whether a street side crepe or a seven course formal meal,  Paris is an experience to be tasted.

Here are some of the amazing eats I've had…so far!

1. Comptoir de Gastronomy – This restaurant has been open since 1894 and has some of the best foie gras in the city. There was a good blend of locals and foreigners. I had the ravioli foie gras paired with a glass of Verre Madiran. For those who couldn’t get enough, there’s a shop right next door that sells foie gras to take home!
 

Tip: If you’re looking for somewhere to give thanks before or after your meal here – head over to L’Eglise St.-Eustache! It’s a beautiful building and right down the street from the restaurant near Les Halles.




2. Chez L'Ami Jean – This tiny bistro serves classic French comfort food. After rave reviews, I headed over with some visiting friends and enjoyed a six course lunch, featuring a cream soup, razored clam, monk fish, sautéed chicken and their world famous rice pudding. Each dish had complex yet complementary flavors – by far my best meal yet and very reasonably priced! 

Tip: The restaurant is only open for Lunch 12-2pm and Dinner 7-10pm. Call and make a reservation beforehand, every table was taken within the first 30 minutes of opening!

3. Relais de L'Encretote – This Parisian favorite only serves steak frites with a secret green pepper sauce as an entrée.  Once I cleaned off my plate, the waitress came over and gave me a second helping! Their crème brûlée was also surprisingly delish. This place opened at 7pm and by 8pm all the tables were gone. Come early and come hungry!



4. Chez Marianne -  Located in the eclectic “Le Marais” neighborhood surrounded by a sea of falafel shops. Their falafel had a tasty array of spices, tahini sauce and was topped with a fried eggplant. L’as du falafel gets all the hype, but in my opinion, Chez Marianne is the clear winner!



5. BREZIH Cafe - Connoisseurs of the Breton borrowed "crepe", this place was tightly packed. Be prepared for family style seating with tables’ right next to each other. I had a savory crepe with eggs, bacon, cheese, mushrooms and crème fraiche. I washed it down with refreshing cider. The crepe here was delicious and a proper portion to leave just enough room for dessert! For dessert, we shared a classic salted caramel crepe topped with banana and cream! Service was friendly and food came out timely. Would suggest making a reservation as tables were all booked!









6. Le Souffle - This restaurant is located in the 1st arrondissment not too far from Le Louvre. It was an excellent find and one of my most memorable meals. As you can guess, the restaurant specializes in souffles! A soufflé is a baked egg-based dish which originated in early eighteenth century France. For lunch, I had the "plat du jour" which consisted of a side salad, scallops and a mini version of their signature cheese souffle. I finished my meal with a hazlenut dessert souffle, and it was like eating a fluffy piece of heaven. I would highly recommend this gem for dining!


No comments:

Post a Comment