Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Cava y Tapas in Madrid

On a whim, I booked a flight to meet up with my Kellogg classmates in Madrid and then later Toledo.

With no agenda or plan, I came with an open mind -  ready to eat, drink and explore.

Madrid has been the only place where I felt the enormity of being a foreigner. I've traveled to many places where I didn't speak the language or know a soul, but this has been the only place where I have been keenly aware (and a bit uncomfortable) by it.

That didn't stop me from relishing in this beautiful city. By relishing I mean eating and drinking my merry heart out. 

I had delish tapas and Cava at a number of places, my favorites being at famous marketplace Mercado San Miguel and Alhambra. There I enjoyed croquetas, burrata, carne asada, loads of vino and chorros con chocolate.

Something interesting about Spanish culture is the lengthy siestas they take during the afternoon, closing shops for hours at a time, making 10pm dinner time a standard in the country o_O

There were a few times where I finished my last bite of a proper dinner at 12am, only to head over to a club and party until the wee hours of the morning. Which reminds me, shout out to Teatro Kapital. Though very unimpressive from the outside, it was a amazing party inside, with sax and salsa performances in between a great mix of music!

The following day, a group of us took a high speed train to Toledo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was a beautiful day to roam, people watch and learn about this unique city, that was at the center of the Spanish inquisition. 

Despite the culture shock, Madrid + Toledo definitely showed me a good time!

















No comments:

Post a Comment